The body is an ecosystem, and the basic principles of ecology are useful to herbalists:
1. Relationship. All systems of the body relate to and rely on each other.
2. Pattern. The relationships within the body form recognizable patterns.
3. Networks. The patterns in relationships within the body form networks.
4. Self-organization. These networks give the body an innate intelligence.
5. Flexibility. The bodyâ€™s intelligence gives it the capacity to adapt and evolve.
6. Relationship. The body is part of the ecosystems it moves in.
A thorough understanding of the body as an ecosystem is the foundation of a truly vitalist herbalismâ€”an herbalism that can work with the bodyâ€™s innate intelligence in support of vitality.
Next in this series: The body is not a war zone.